Monday, February 17, 2014

Over the Hill

Dear friends and family,

I am officially over the hill! I know that I am not in the middle of my mission; I am actually 2/3rds done, but I just have started feeling over the hard stuff this week.  Two days ago when I was in personal study reading the Book of Mormon, I realized that I have been reading in Spanish without opening up my English Book of Mormon for about a week.  Then, I was reading the Conference addition of the Ensign in Spanish, and I understood every talk.  I am by no means a grammatical genius these days, but I can feel very comfortable with my Spanish.  The Lord really does bless us.  I just kept trusting in my setting apart blessing when President Peterson told me that I would learn Spanish well, that knowing Spanish will bless my life, and that I will need it in my future life. For what? I don’t know, but I’m so grateful that I have learned it.

This week we got to go on splits with the Sister Training leaders. And guess who came to be with me? My beautiful Hermana Morales!! Hermana Morales came to 9 de Julio, and Hermana Cordova went to the other sister’s area. The very first thing we do on an exchanges is an interview with the sisters. My interview with Hermana Morales was one of the most special moments of my time here in Argentina, because we were finally able to talk like friends. Hermana Morales was my companion for three weeks when I first arrived in Argentina (4 1/2 months ago), and back then I didn’t speak enough Spanish to communicate with her. It was so fun to sit down and really talk with her. We have so much in common, and she has grown to be one of my best friends of my mission. We had a great two days together! 

This week we read my favorite Chapter in the book of Mormon, Jacob 5.  I would like to talk about my two favorite scriptures in the book of Mormon: Jacob 5:21-22 (“21 And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard. 22 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit”).  They have been my inspiration in the mission field.  After the Servant is so confused at why the Lord of the vineyard took his time to try and strengthen the weakest part of the vineyard.  The words of the Lord of the vineyard give the chills,“Council Me NOT!”  Who are we to council the Lord?  He knows and understands the potential of every one of his children.  The Book of Mormon is so great.

We have had a great time finding new investigators this week.  Almost all of our investigators from January have stopped progressing so we need to find again.  I am not discouraged though.  I know that they are all closer to their Savior than they were before, and that one day, with the knowledge they have gained, they will be able to make the decision to move forward again.  We have been working so hard; Hermana Cordova is probably the sweetest person to step foot on the planet. It has been a joy to work with her, and then yesterday in 9 de Julio we had 48 people in Church! Almost 50! AHH! Amazing! I almost cried.  A family of almost all inactive members when I got here have all come back.  One is waiting for his mission call; one is my best friend.  And yesterday the returned missionary son came to church with his new fiancé, a recent convert of about two years.  They both have three children and are planning on getting married soon, and being strong in the church.  I can’t wait until I can tell you all about this family.  I love them so much.

Camron stay warm this week! Family in Nevada enjoy Spring! Love you!

xoxo,

Hermana Chloe

PS. Shout out to all the February birthdays: Grandma, Aunt Kathy, Ben, and Weston!! I love my family so much. As I thought about you on your birthdays, I thought, “Wow, my family is such a blessing to me.” Thanks for your love and support.
Hermana Morales made me a sign for my one year in the mission!
Hermana Morales y yo!



One year in the mission dinner!


Hermana Cordova y yo and the little dudes from "Despicable Me" 

No comments:

Post a Comment